- Lemon water
- Carbonated water
- Sugary drinks
- Red wine
- Spicy food (even mild)
- Artificial sweeteners
- Dense and dry foods (cracker, bread)
- Toothpaste with mint flavour
- Toothpaste with Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS)
How to Stimulate Saliva:
- Carry a bottle of water throughout the day and sip regularly; water at bed side table
- Cut food into small pieces and chew well
- Dunk food into liquids
- Add broth, soup, sauce, gravy, creams, butter, mayonnaise, yogurt to food
- Baby Toothpaste Fruit Flavour (age 0 – 2)
- Sensodyne Repair & Protect Toothpaste (check ingredients: no Sodium Lauryl Sulfate SLS)
- Coconut / Olive Oil: 1 tsp – 1 tbsp to rinse with before bed
- 6-12 grams of Xylitol spaced out through the day; everyday to see results
- bioXtra oral care products https://www.bioxtra.ca/
- Oral Science oral care products https://www.oralscience.ca/en/protocols/xerostomia/
- Humidifier in bedroom and other rooms during the day
- Sleep without dentures
Mouth Rinses (see what’s best for you)
- Club Soda – Open and let it go flat so the carbonation is gone.
- Salt & Water – 1 tsp salt: 2 cups warm water; stir until salt is dissolved.
- Baking Soda & Water (ice chips can also be used) – 1 tsp baking soda: 2 cups water; stir until baking soda is dissolved.
- Baking Soda, Salt, & Water – 0.5 tsp baking soda: 0.5 tsp salt: 2 cups water; stir until baking soda and salt are dissolved.
Personalized Regiment Example
|Carry a water bottle; sip when eating||Humidifier|
|Fruit flavour baby toothpaste||Water at bed side table|
|bioXtra gel 5-10 minutes before eating (bioXtra)||Xylimelts (Oral Science)|
|Xyli-mints (Oral Science)||bioXtra spray (bioXtra)|
I think it’s important to be patient and not expect immediate results by trying some of the above. Of course, it’s impossible to live a life doing many of the above strategies, but consistent effort will provide you with some gain in feeling better wearing removable dentures which will likely improve your overall health and lifestyle.
Yours in good oral health,
Jon Nolan, DD